If you want to migrate your WordPress site for any reason then this article will be helpful for you.
This blog will guide you on migrating your WordPress site in three different steps. The steps are as follows.
- Take a Backup of your Current Website.
- Changing Name Servers.
- Installing WordPress on new hosting.
- Importing data on new WordPress/hosting.
Taking Backup Of Your WordPress Data:
Taking backup is most important, so you will not lose any of your hard work which you have done.
In order to take backup of your site you will need a plugin “All in one WP Migration”. The steps to take backup of your site are as follows:-
- Navigate to your WordPress admin page and login.
- Then install “All in one WP Migration”. There you can see that it has 4 million plus active installations.
- After installing you have to activate the plugin.
- Then on the left side of your WordPress dashboard you will see the “All-in One WP migration icon”.
- Hover your cursor there, then click on export option.
- Then you have to select an option where you want to export. Select the “FILE” option.
- It will take some time in order to create a backup of the site.
- After compilation of the process it will show a download button with the size of the file. This size depends upon the content available on your site. If your download size is too big then you can save the backup on any cloud service like “Google Drive” by connecting with that cloud service through the plugin.
Updating The Name Servers Of Your Domain:
Now your domain is still hosted on the current hosting through name servers.So, in order to migrate you have to change the name servers provided by the new hosting provider.
You just have to change the nameservers from the existing one to the new one. In order to change the name servers login the site where you bought the domain.
Navigate to the domain or product manager. Click on the DNS option of the domain name there it will show the option of name servers.
Whatever the new name servers provided by the new hosting provider you have to replace it with the existing one.Then you have to click on save and refresh the page one-two times to check that new name servers are showing there.
After that you have to wait for at least two hours because it requires at least that much time to update the name servers.
If you have multiple domains from different domain providers then cloudflare will be very helpful for you.
It will ease the processing of managing domains and will also provide security from many types of attack. The best part about it is that it’s all free.
In order to install WordPress you have to access the cpanel. To get to the cpanel just type “/cpanel” at the end of your site your for example www.example.com/cpanel it will redirect you to the cpanel.
Then you have to login by the username and password provided by the company.
After login in order to install WordPress the steps are as follows:-
- In the cpanel scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will see “Softaculous Installer” written there.
- There you will find a “Wordpress” icon there with wordpress written in the bottom.
- It will redirect you to the “Wordpress Installing” page. Click on the “Install Now” button.
- After clicking it will show you the option on which domain you want to use wordpress on. If you just have one domain then it will be selected by default or if you have multiple domain names then they will all show you in a list.
- Just after the domain url you will see a “in Directory” option there which is by default “wp” you have to remove that otherwise your wordpress will be installed on a sub directory.
- On the same page you will see an option to enter your “username” and “password”. You have to set that and put your email on the email box.
- Then scroll down and click on “Install Button”.
- Within a few seconds WordPress will be installed on your hosting then you have to login with the login link provided just below.
After successfully completing these steps you will see a fresh wordpress has been installed to your hosting.
Importing Content On New WordPress:
In order to import the content you have created backup you again have to install and activate the “All in one WP Migration” plugin on wordpress. The rest steps are as follows:-
- After installing you will see the “All in one WP Migration” option on the left side just like in the old site.
- When you again hover your mouse pointer on the plugin you will see an option of “Import” you have to click on it.
- After clicking the “Import From” option you have to select the “File” option if you have downloaded the content of your website else if you sended the backup to any Cloud service you have to select that and then it will auto detect the backup file from there and start importing.
- If you select the file option you simply have to select the file which you previously downloaded and then it will start importing the content.
- The uploading/importing speed will depend on the speed of your internet connection or the size of your file.
- Then it will show a pop-up saying that this will overwrite the existing content and database of our website which is totally fine since this is the new wordpress and we haven’t done anything yet,So click on the proceed button.
- Then the plugin will import your backup data into your new hosting and you just have to click “Finish” after the importing is done.
Now visit your website url, you will see your website as it was.
Transferring the data of a website from one hosting to another may seem a very hard process but it is not.
As you have read in this article how easily we can migrate our WordPress by just following some simple steps.
Drop Your Queries In The Comment Box Of This Post,